A community-based partnership between the Friends of the Carp River and the Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority.
In the summer and fall of 2012 the MVCA, in partnership with the FCR, completed a detailed assessment of the Carp River from Richardson Side Road to the Village of Carp due to:
- Concerns about visibly increasing flooding at the Village,
- Future downstream effects of development at Kanata West and the Terry Fox Extension, and
- the need to provide a better understanding of the geomorphology, river dynamics and ecological functions.
As a result of this assessment, the MVCA and FCR recommended to Councillor El-Chantiry that a strategic, multi-year Carp River Action Plan, called Carp River Care by the MVCA, be undertaken to improve the most degraded mid-reach section of the Carp River. It comprises four main actions:
- Implementation of a landowner stewardship program for key riparian properties,
- Removal of blockages and obstructions downstream from the Village,
- Creation of a Carp River Stream Watch Program, and
- Engineered restoration of the river at two key sections.
The Action Plan has three major benefits for the citizens of Ottawa:
- Reduced maintenance costs
- Improved water quality entering the Ottawa River
- New recreational and economic benefits to the Village of Carp
The Action Plan supports the Carp Village Community Design Plan.
Check out our Progress.